- Energy Policy Lead / Strategist - Energy Products & Solutions
- GENERAL MOTORS
- 14 days ago
Preferred locations for this position: Warren, MI; Washington, DC; San Francisco, CA; or other remote within the US
Please note: This position is considered fully remote. It does not require the employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee's role enables them to work off-site on a permanent basis.
There's never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better, and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won't happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open workspaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests and make it a priority to join in efforts that give back to our communities.
Distributed energy storage and solutions have emerged as a critical energy asset to expand renewable generation deployments, reduce energy costs, and assure the supply of electricity in response to natural disasters and cyber threats. GM's V2X and Battery Solutions team is pursuing an individual in the policy domain who will support the growth and commercialization of GM's energy products and solutions business.
The Policy Lead/Strategist - Energy Products & Solutions shall leverage policy as a tool to support the deployment of specific energy products, projects, and programs. The lead will identify and manage policy & regulatory initiatives needing management across GM's energy business. The individual will support workstreams related to the deployment and integration of Distributed Energy Resources ("DERs")with the grid. Areas of focus will include energy storage, energy management systems, and energy services products/solutions.
This role reports to the Chief of Staff for V2X & Battery Solutions and partners closely with the corporate Public Policy team. Significant coordination with other groups within GM is to be expected, including: EV Infrastructure, Energy Strategy & Procurement, Sustainability, Finance, Legal, and Planning.
The individual will also track and review proposals on GM's behalf from various stakeholder groups (government, NGOs, trade associations, etc.) in the energy products/solutions space.
Externally, the individual may be asked to represent GM in trade associations, with Non-Governmental Organizations and in specific matters related to federal and state regulatory agencies. The Strategist will be a key leader for developing policy strategy and positions in support of growing GM's energy products/solutions business.
This position is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic and growing organization in a critical role to help enable GM's vision for a Zero Emissions future.
- Leverage policy as a tool to support the deployment of specific Energy Products, Projects, and programs
- Collaborate closely with Public Policy organization on position & engagement management
- Translate business needs/growth plans into policy roadmaps
- Track and review proposals from various stakeholder groups
- Create, socialize, and internally reconcile initial policy positions
- Craft initial legislative, regulatory, and agency engagement strategies
- Lead and coordinate meetings, outputs, and proposals
- Communicate positions on various issues to Federal, State, Regional, and Local entities as well as other relevant stakeholders such as suppliers, partner firms, customers, investors, NGOs, and associations in partnership with the Public Policy organization
- Engage in collaborative efforts with other manufacturers, suppliers, government, academia, and other stakeholders
- Collaborate in a team environment and/or take charge of opportunities to develop optimal solutions
- Communicate clearly with leadership to ensure awareness of progress, successes, risks, and concerns
Additional Job Description
Required Skills / Experience / Education:
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience
- Minimum of 2 years of prior professional experience working with battery and/or energy related technologies/industries
- Minimum of 2 years of prior professional experience working on policy, grants, incentives, or other related items at the state and/or federal level
- Strong project and budget management skills with proven track record of efficiently executing work to completion at a high level of quality
- Ability to learn and understand battery cell technology, energy concepts, and power systems to make policy recommendations to leadership
- Willing to travel up to 20-30% of the time
Desired Additional Skills / Experience / Education:
- Experience working within or adjacent to the electric utility industry is beneficial
- Experience in interacting directly with a broad group of external stakeholders and policymakers
- Ability to quickly and accurately identify key issues, trends, and signals in the policy arena
- Experience in providing written comments to policy proposals
- Ability to develop specific policy proposals (such as drafting legislation and regulatory text) is a plus
- Experience creating and managing cross functional teams to solve complex problems (rulemakings, legislative initiatives, etc.)
- The expected base compensation for this role is: ($90,223-$144,123).Actual base compensation within the identified range will vary based on factors relevant to the position.
- Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
- Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more.
This is a remote position, the selected candidate can reside and perform the work from anywhere within the United States. We are unable to consider candidates who require sponsorship.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day - individually and collectively - to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
- Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
- Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
- Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
- Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
GMis an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. GM is committed to providing a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and advancing equal employment opportunities for all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, all practices and decisions relating to terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment are made without regard to an individual's protected characteristics. For purposes of this policy, "protected characteristics" include an individual's actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, weight, height, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us [email protected] call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.